Having a functional email account is very important in today’s digitalized world. There is virtually any form that you will fill online today without being asked to provide your email account. So, having an email account is a must.
Besides, an email account could serve as your cloud storage repository. Gmail for example, allows up to 15gb of storage for Google Account owners. Similar applies to Yahoo!, Mail.ru, Yandex mail, AOL, Rediffmail, Microsoft Outlook mail and other email clients.
Some email clients allow users to create and use their services for free like Gmail, Yahoo!, and Outlook. Others offer a paid email service. This means users would have to pay a fee to access and enjoy the features provided by these emailing companies.
In this guide, I will be showing you step-by-step how to create a regular Gmail account which is free. You may want to upgrade to the subscription-based email service offered by Google known as G-Suit. This would give you more features than the regular Gmail service. However, you might not need these extra services if you are not planning to go into email marketing anytime soon.
Gmail is a web-based email service powered by Google. Today, you can access Gmail from a client website or from the Gmail App which you musts have installed on your mobile phone. With Gmail, you have up to 15gb of storage, all the major email facilities like “inbox”, “outbox”, “spam”, “trash”, and “All”.
Gmail also has a search bar on top of the portal to enable users search for information within their email quickly. Incoming messages in Gmail are sent to the proper directories to reflect the interest namely “Primary”, “Social” and “Promotions”. This allows the user to easily navigate to the incoming emails of best interest.
Having a Gmail account is easy and free insofar as you up to 13 years of age.
Requirements for Creating Email Account (Gmail) in Nigeria
Creating a Gmail account as a Nigerian or in Nigeria is not hard at all. It is a very simple process.
This is what you need:
- Your Full Names (must not necessarily be your full, correct names anyway)
- Your Nigerian phone number (this must be correct because Gmail may send a code to it to validate/authenticate your identity)
- A Premade Username or Email ID (this could be a nickname or a set of words/phrases that you wish your email address to bear. However, Gmail will provide you with a set of usernames or email ID to choose from if the one you premade or pre-composed is already taken)
- A Premade Password (like your username or email ID, you must have a password in mind which you wish to use to signin to your Gmail account after it’s been created)
Steps to Create Gmail Account in Nigeria
- Visit www.gmail.com
- click on sign up
- enter your first name and last name
- enter your username or email ID
- enter a password and confirm in the next column
- click on next
- enter your Nigerian mobile phone number and then allow Google send you a verification code
- enter the code sent to your phone in the space provided.
- click on sign up and then here is your account.
After successful Google Account sign up process, you will be automatically signed in to your Gmail account.
Congrats! You have successfully created your Gmail account and you now have an email address which you can use for all your online and offline activities.
Now, how do you access (login) to your Gmail account?
Gmail Login Process
To login to your Gmail account,
- Visit gmail.com or https://mail.google.com
- Enter your email address and click on next
- Enter your password and click on “sign in”.
That answers the question, how do I create an email account in Nigeria using Gmail.
Here, I covered what email account is, I mentioned the different types and modes of email accounts available and went ahead to spot Gmail as the preferred email account in Nigeria and a few pointers to this. This guide explained the sign up and signs in process for Gmail.
I hope the tutorial is clear. Let me have your views on this in the comments box below; I will not hesitate to provide further guidance where necessary.