How To Start A Fashion Business In Nigeria And Be Successful
Are you interested in operating a fashion business in Nigeria with the desire not to be just average? If your answer to the question above is yes, then you are reading the right article because you won’t be disappointed at the end. You must not be a professional to start a fashion business in Nigeria; all you just need to have is a degree and hard work.
How To Start A Fashion Business In Nigeria And Not Be Average
You must have in mind that no matter the aspect of fashion you want to venture into, be it clothing, cosmetics, clothing accessories or having a fashion boutique, the major thing you need is extreme skills to excel. This doesn’t mean that you must have to be a pro.
So long as you love what you do, then the job is done because you will be learning new ideas daily. You must bear in mind that the business of fashion is highly competitive and lucrative as well. Starting a fashion business in Nigeria is something that needs hard work and dedication and discipline.
Setting aside the wave of excitement that comes with starting up a business, you must always remember the things that need be done before you jump into the business to avoid regrets later. Am not trying to bring fear into your mind, neither am I trying to discourage from venturing into fashion business in Nigeria.
Am opening your mind to the hurdles to expect so that when the challenges appear, you won’t be taken by surprise. The major thing about business is that it demands dedication and endurance.
Starting up a fashion business in Nigeria may not be easy; the stress, the loan you need to borrow from banks and insurance companies, the site location for the business and the renovation of the place to make it stand out. You must always prepare to face the storm in business, but be rest assured that after that comes sunshine.
Things To Note About Starting A Fashion Business In Nigeria
There are certain questions you need to ask yourself and have a definite answer to them. These questions are not to discourage you and neither is to dampen your zeal. The thing is, I need to be blunt with you at this early stage to prevent a big regret later on in your business.
Are you ready to start your own business?
It is not about being quick to say yes that you are more than ready to start your own business. The major issue is about being ready to take responsibility for anything that will occur from the moment that you start investing in that business.
Are you ready to go hungry for the duration of your efforts trying to put things in order without mistakenly using the money for the business for your personal needs? It takes major things like patience, strong conviction and investment of time and money to start a business and see it to completion.
Do you have what it takes to compete with the ever competitive business world?
Fashion business in Nigeria has never been docile at any point in time. It has always been a very dynamic and competitive business in Nigeria. The competition has even tripled and is at its peak now that people have come to realize that there is profit in the business of fashion.
You must be creative and innovative at all times especially when you are into the clothing aspect of fashion. Your uniqueness alone is your best tool to excel where others may have failed and are failing.
What aspect of fashion will you be going into?
You have to be clear from the start the aspect you want to focus on in the fashion business. To prosper in the fashion business in Nigeria, you must have to be specific and focused from the start.
Are you going to be focusing more on clothing and textile, clothing accessories, cosmetics, or do you have the intention of combing the three of them so as to create your own unique brand? These are the things you must consider and clarify from the very beginning.
Why are you starting up a business?
What is your driving force in starting in starting a business? Some may have the mindset of starting a fashion business in Nigeria just to fly abroad, wear imported clothes and accessories, and wine and dine with the people that “matters” in the society. It is not a bad aspiration and motivation.
You need to have a very solid reason to start a fashion business in Nigeria, this is so that if things don’t work as planned, you could get disappointed and give up. You must have strong motives to encourage and motivate yourself when you have no one to.
5. Do you want to run the business alone?
Are you willing to collaborate with a reliable friend or brand that will promote your brand where you both can share ideas? There are brands were a designer like Dolce and Gabbana, Alexander McQueen and Target coming together to design a unique brand of sensual and elegant dresses and accessories that will make you stare at the model in awe. It’s a collaborated work which you could also do but, eventually, if you want to work alone, it’s allowed and okay.
There are still many questions to be asked, as these are not the only ones to ask. They will help you not to make jumpy and rash decisions that you might regret in the near future. Answering all these questions sincerely will make you ready to take the world of fashion business in Nigeria by storm.
How to Start a Fresh Fashion Business in Nigeria by Yourself
Here are some guidelines on starting a fashion business in Nigeria for you. The first step to becoming self-employed is that unwavering decision to proceed, damn the challenges.
- Always let your family members and friends know what you are good at. You don’t necessarily need to own a place to start up the business before informing these people. This is one sure way of advertising your skills without any pay. They can help you market your brand to their own friends, and someone might see what you have to offer and fall in love with it.
- You should always try to start with the money at hand no matter how little it might seem at that moment to you. You can also solicit for a loan from banks or some insurance companies.
- You must purchase the necessary equipment you need for the fashion business in Nigeria. You must be able to know the things needed to establish your fashion business. These things include scissors and so on for clothing, for cosmetics, you need to make up kits etc.
- You should create a website where you advertise your works for your customers. This helps you to reach a bigger number of customers that you would have, just on your own. You can also make use of the social media like facebook, twitter, Instagram etc. You always get your friends to like your brand and comment thereby promoting your brand.
- You should avail yourself of watching fashion documentaries; this will be an inspiration to you seeing works of professional designers like Bellanaija etc.
- You must always know the market price of each of your designs so that you don’t drive your customers away and not cheat yourself in your effort to keep your customers.
With these my tips, y
ou are very much able to start a fashion business in Nigeria. Don’t be afraid of the change because it’s going, to begin with, you. Handle the fear and excitement and start up a worthwhile business.