Top 16 Owners of Oil Blocks In Nigeria
The arbitrary allocation of Nigeria’s oil block is a fraudulent act started during the Babangida regime. It is no news that oil constitutes the highest source of revenue for the Nigerian Economy. Nigeria is part of the organization of oil exporting countries (OPEC). The oil has contributed to our success and our doom. The seemingly intractable conflict in the Niger Delta is a product of our possession of oil. We are aware that oil blocks belong to some individuals, a point I have always been against. Give these oil blocks to states and not individuals. That is beside the point of discourse though. Our major aim is to bring to your knowledge the owners of these oil blocks and you brethren should be the judge of whether injustice and corruption abound here or not.
The List of Top Owners of Oil Blocks in Nigeria and the Companies in Charge.
Below is a list of 16 richest oil blocks owned by majorly people from the north while the owners of the resources sit by the side and wish that things were a little different.
- Akpo condensate with divested interest of $1 billion is the first on our list. The company in charge is Sapetro and it is owned by General Theophilus Danjuma.
- OML ILO with high yield OBE oil fields. It is run by Cavendish petroleum and owned by Alhaji Mai Daribe
- OPL 246 is next. The company that oversees it is SAPETRO and it is also owned by Gen. Theophilus Danjuma
- NML 112 and OML 117 are in the care of AMNI International Petroleum Development Company and owned byColonel Sanni Bello
- OML 115, OLDWOK field and EBOK field is owned by Alhaji Mohammed Indimi.
- OML 215 is another powerful oil block. It is managed by Nor East petroleum limited and it is owned by Alhaji Saleh Mohammed
- OML 108 is in the hands ofExpress petroleum company Limtied. The man who owns it is no other person other than Alhaji Aminu Dantata
- OML 113 is run by Yinka Folawiyo pet Ltd and qowned by Alhaji W.I. Folaniyo
- Asuokpu/Umutu Marginal Oil fields is managed by Seplat petroleum while Prince Nasiru Ado bayero is the owner.
- Intel is cowned by Abubakar Atiku, Musa Yar’adua and Ado Bayero
- OML 112 and OML 117, EBOK oil, fields, OML 67 are very big oil blocks managed ADMNI, Afren Plc and Vitol. Rilman Lukman has stakes in all the three companies
- OPL 245 is managed by Malabu OU and Gas company while the owner is Dan Etete
- OPL 289 and OPL 233 are managed by Clean water consortium consisting of clean water refinery and RivGas Petroleum and Gas company. It is owned by Peter Odili’s fronts
- OPL 286 is managed by Focus Energy in Partnership with BG Group. Andy Uba has stakes in this company
- OPL 291 is under the management of Starcrest Energy Nigeria Limited. It is owned by Emeka Offor
- Conoil’s Six oil is managed by Conoil. The owner of Glo, Mike Adenuga, owns it.
The Nigerian petroleum Act of 1969 gave the minister of Petroleum the powers and full authority to allocate licenses for oil blocks for the exploration, prospecting and mining of oil. This implies that the law is even against the masses on this issue. According to Louis (2009:13), oil blocks were almost given freely to individuals who are highly connected to those in power. These individuals mostly sell the blocks to international oil companies and earn substantial income. It works like a government subsidized welfare program for the lucky few speaking from a political perspective,
You see brethren and fellow Nigerians that Nigeria is fundamentally wrong. You should be the judge and tell me that this is right or wrong. I’m not even saying that Niger Deltans are marginalized which of course they are, my argument is that using our collective resources to reward political patronage is totally wrong.