The International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) is accepting applications for the 2020 Scientists Summer Program (YSSP) for Young Researchers. This is a 3-month program that goes on every year. It offers research opportunities to talented young researchers whose interests correspond with IIASA’s ongoing research on issues of global environmental, economic and social change.
From June through August accepted participants work within the Institute’s research programs under the guidance of IIASA scientific staff. Funding is provided through IIASA’s National Member Organizations.
Participants will be working under the direct supervision of an experienced IIASA scientist in a unique interdisciplinary and international research environment. They will produce a paper (serving as first step towards a publishable journal article) and will get the opportunity to build up contacts for future collaboration within IIASA’s worldwide network.
Deadline: January 11, 2020
- Air Quality and Greenhouse Gases
- Advanced Systems Analysis
- Ecosystem Services and Management
- Evolution and Ecology
- Risk and Resilience
- Transitions to New Technologies
- World Population
IIASA Scientists Summer Program 2020 Scholarship/funding
Most of IIASA’s National Member Organizations (NMOs) provide grants to enable young scientists (either their own nationals or foreign students studying in their country) to participate in the YSSP. All successfully selected applicants will receive notification about funding shortly after the evaluation process.
Awards for YSSP Participants
Who is Eligible for the IIASA Scientists Summer Program 2020?
- The program is designed for PhD students (ideally about 2 years prior to receiving their PhD) working on a field compatible with ongoing research at IIASA and a wish to explore the policy implications of their work.
- Applicants from all countries are welcome, although IIASA gives priority to citizens or residents of NMO countries.
- Austria, Brazil, China, Egypt, Finland, Germany, India, Indonesia, Iran, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Norway, Republic of Korea, Russia, South Africa, Sweden, Ukraine, United Kingdom, United States, Vietnam
How to Apply for the IIASA Scientists Summer Program 2020
- Candidates apply via the online application form (find the ‘APPLY NOW’ banner on the right side during the application period).
- Applicants can chose 1-2 programs. If there is additional interest in one of their flagship projects, this can be indicated in the box provided in the application form (under “please justify your choice of programs here”). They strongly encourage contacting the various program representatives and carefully read through all program descriptions before making your decision.
- Participation in the YSSP is only possible for one summer (however, you may apply several times).
- ATTENTION: Brazilian candidates must apply on the CAPES website in order to qualify for CAPES funding.
For more information, visit IIASA Young Scientists Summer Program.