Application For Getty Residential Scholar and Fellow Program 2020 in United States Is ongoing (Apply Now)
Getty Scholar Grants are for established scholars, or writers who have attained distinction in their fields. Recipients are in residence at the Getty Research Institute or Getty Villa, where they pursue their own projects free from academic obligations, make use of Getty collections, join their colleagues in a weekly meeting devoted to an annual research theme, and participate in the intellectual life of the Getty.
- Applications are welcome from researchers of all nationalities who are working in the arts, humanities, or social sciences.
- Applicants who received their degree after September 1, 2015, should apply for a postdoctoral fellowship.
- Current Getty staff and members of their immediate family are not eligible for Scholar Grants.
- Recent recipients who have received a Getty Scholar award within the past three years may be removed from consideration.
Getty Scholars may be in residence from three to nine months:
Three-month residency: September to December, January to April, April to June: $17,200 Six-month residency: September to April, January to June: $42,000 Nine-month residency: September to June: $65,000
The grant also includes an office at the Getty Research Institute or the Getty Villa, an apartment in the Getty scholar housing complex, airfare to and from Los Angeles, and available healthcare option. These terms apply as of June 2019 and are subject to future changes.
Application Availability and Deadline
Complete application materials are accepted online only. The next deadline for submission of application materials is 5:00 p.m. (PT) October 1, 2019.
Applicants are notified of the Getty Research Institute’s decision approximately six months following the deadline.
Getty Scholar Grants are awarded on a competitive basis. Applications are evaluated based on the following: (1) the overall quality of the application; (2) how the proposed project bears upon the annual research theme; (3) the applicant’s past achievements; and (4) how the project would benefit from the resources at the Getty, including its library and collections.
How to Apply For Getty Residential Scholar and Fellow Program 2020
Applicants are required to complete and submit the online Getty Scholar grant application form, along with the attachments described below, by the deadline.
- Project Proposal: Each application must include a description of the applicant’s proposed plan for study and research (not to exceed five pages, typed and double-spaced). The description should indicate (1) how the project bears upon the scholar year theme and (2) how the project would be advanced by the resources at the Getty, including its library and collections.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Optional Writing Sample
For the best user experience, we strongly recommend use of the Google Chrome browser. You may also use Firefox or Safari. The Internet Explorer 11 (IE) browser is not fully compatible with our portal.
Begin a New Application: Create or update your account and password, log in, and begin a new application.
For More Information:
Deadline: 5:00 p.m. (PT) October 1, 2019.