Ali Baba whose full name is Atunyota Alleluya Akpobome is a Nigerian stand-up comedian, actor and most notably the unofficial ‘Godfather’ of comedy in Nigeria.
Alibaba was born on the 24th of June, 1965 to the Royal family of Agbarha Otor in Ughelli North Local Government Area. He attended Ojo Primary School and Command Secondary School both in Lagos. And then he went on to study Religious Studies & Philosophy at Bendel State University (Now known as Ambrose Alli University).
Alibaba is married to Mary-Bassey Udoh and together they have five children- Xsara, Brandi, twins- Ejiro and Tejiri and Valerie.
Read Also: Full Biography and Net Worth of A.Y
Rise to Prominence
After graduation, he moved to Lagos to pursue a career in comedy. He performing at corporate events and appearing on television shows with veterans like Patrick Doyle and Charly Boy. He was also featured on radio shows with Bisi Olatilo, Sani Irabor and Mani Onumonmu.
Although he was delving into comedy at a time when the already established comedians were not into Stand-up Comedy, he was determined to make it his niche. Four years later he had made a name for himself and had become the most sought after Master of Ceremony in the country.
He set up his company- Alibaba Hicuppuray. He was also notably one of the first comedians to declare that comedy is a serious business and should be accorded the respect that other businesses are accorded with too.
Alibaba has also notable mentored, supported and promoted other upcoming comedians to the point where they became full blown stars in their own rights. Alibaba is indeed the God Father of Comedy in Nigeria. He believes there is enough space for anyone to succeed in whatever niche they choose to grow in. And since he stepped into the entertainment industry the comedy zone has been growing thanks to how much he supports other upcoming comedians.
Of course talent and hard work never goes unnoticed, Alibaba has bagged many awards so far. Some of them are:
- Laughter Awards – Baziks Theatre Abuja in 2001 in the category of Outstanding Performance
- Laughter Incorporated the category of Immense contribution to the comedy industry in 2002
- Achievers Merit Award from Delta State University
- Pendulum Awards LASU National Association of Physics Student in the category of Icon of Comedy in 2004
- 1st Nigeria Entertainment Awards in the category of Icon of Comedy in 2004
- National Comedy Award by the Comedy Enterprise in 2005
- Eric’s Entertainment Inc for the Recognition of his solid support to young entrepreneurs in 2006
- Award of Excellence from the Lagos State University in 2006
- City People Entertainment award for the invaluable contribution to the Entertainment Industry in 2006
- Enablers Merit Award from RCCG in 2007
- The News Diamond Award for helping the growth & development of the Comedy Industry in Nigeria in 2008.
- (Again) City People Entertainment award for the invaluable contribution to the Entertainment Industry in 2008.
- National Daily Award for the category of the Comedian of the decade in 2009.
- Comedy for Change award in commemoration of his 20th year on stage in 2010.
Alibaba has was featured on CNN African Voices in March, 2015.
Alibaba is estimated to be worth N3 billion.