Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program 2019/2020 for postdoctoral study in Canada ($70,000 per year in funding)
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program provides funding to the very best postdoctoral applicants, both nationally and internationally, who will positively contribute to the country’s economic, social and research-based growth.
The objective of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is to:
- Attract and retain top-tier postdoctoral talent, both nationally and internationally
- Develop their leadership potential
- Position them for success as research leaders of tomorrow
Citizenship and location of host institution
Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens are eligible to apply, provided they meet the following conditions:
- Applicants who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
- Applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree from a foreign university may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
- Applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree from a Canadian university may hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at either a Canadian institution or an institution outside of Canada.
$70,000 per year (taxable)
2 years (non-renewable)
70 fellowships are awarded annually Footnote 1;
approximately 140 awards are active at any time.
Fellowships are distributed equally among:
- the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
- April – September 2019 Applicants seek endorsement from host institution to apply, prepare and submit application (institutions may have internal deadlines).
- September 18, 2019
(20:00 EDT) Deadline for complete application submission
- October to December 2019 Evaluation of applications
- Mid February, 2020 Anticipated notification of results. Applicants will be notified by email when the results are available on ResearchNet.
- April to October 2020 Payments begin
Visit the Official Webpage of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program 2019/2020
Deadline: September 18, 2019 (20:00 EDT)