Processing NYSC Exemption Certificate could pose a challenge to you if you are oblivious of how to go about it. That is why I created this article to explain the entire process in detail, step-by-step. By the time you finish reading this, you should be able to process your NYSC exemption certificate by yourself.
Note: NYSC stands for “National Youth Service Corps”
Before I get to the bone of the talk, why would you or any Nigerian graduate want to get or process NYSC exemption certificate?
Here are the reasons:
- You are Thirty (30) years of age.
- You are a serving member or once served in any of the Nigerian armed forces like the Nigerian Army, the Nigerian Navy, or the Nigerian Air force. Or, it could be that you are a Nigeria Police Officer or served in the Nigeria Police for over Nine month.
If you are a member of staff of the following paramilitary organizations in the country, you would be ineligible to serve in the NYSC:
- The Defence Intelligence Service,
- The Nigerian Security Organization,
- The National Intelligence Agency or
- The State Security Service or.
- Finally, having been conferred with any National honour, you are ineligible for the NYSC.
If you belong to any of the categories above, you would have to get the Certificate of Exemption from the NYSC.
However, if you are a graduate from a Part-time programme you would be issued letter of exclusion and this is different from NYSC Exemption Certificate.
How to Become Eligible For NYSC Exemption Certificate
If you are a Nigerian graduate whether at home or trained oversea and you have the stipulated tertiary education qualification of B.Sc., B.A., or HND from an institution approved and accredited by NUC, NTBE, NCCE, then you are eligible for the NYSC Exemption Certificate.
However, if you are a foreign-trained graduate you must submit your certificate for Evaluation/Vetting at the mobilization Department of the NYSC Secretariat.
Processes for Collection of NYSC Certificate of Exemption
Home Trained Graduates
The process begins from the corps producing institutions.
- The Tertiary Institution attended. The school submits the masters list of their graduates alongside with the senate approved results to NYSC.
- A print-out is process by NYSC classifying those to be called up for service and those to be exempted. This print-out is sent back to the institutions for verifications and corrections after which they are returned to NYSC as an agreed/corrected document.
- Also, with the print-out, the certificate of exemption are produced, documented, and sent back to the institutions for issuance o the appropriate person.
N/B: Collection of the Certificate of Exemption for home trained graduates is only done in the institution of graduation and not in NYSC office.
Foreign Trained Graduates
- The process begins with the evaluation of credentials and other related documents i.e. international passport.
- After the evaluation of credentials the foreign trained graduate is then registered and this is physically done at the NYSC directorate headquarters, Abuja. It is at the point of registration that the classification of whom to be called-up or who to be exempted; is determined.
- Certificate of exemption are therefore produced for those exempted from the service.
- Such certificates of exemption for foreign graduates are to be collected at the NYSC directorate headquarters at the stipulated time communicated.
N/B: collection of the Certificate of Exemption is grouped under the three batches of the service year, depending on the date of the registration. This will be communicated to exempted graduates at the point of registration.
To Collect NYSC Certificate of Exemption, you must do it in person and must provide proper identification such as your international passport.
So, that’s all on how to process NYSC Exception Certificate. I hope this article was helpful.
Do you have questions or contributions to make to this? Please, let me know immediately by commenting below this article.